Last updated on October 31st, 2015 at 02:10 am
Homemade Craft Foam Gingerbread Man
By Jane Lake
You can use our printable pattern to make little gingerbread men from a variety of materials; we used craft foam as a base, but the pattern should work equally well with felt, card stock, or even sandpaper.
If you wanted to make a lot of gingerbread men to use as gift tags, I would suggest cutting them out of a manila folder.
To make the printable gingerbread man pattern into a sturdy template, print it on card stock, or print and trace onto cereal cardboard before cutting out.
- Printable Gingerbread Man Pattern
- craft foam, manilla file folder, felt, or card stock
- craft foam bow or thin ribbon to tie a bow
- small amount of embroidery floss thread or gold cord to make the hanger
- pencil with eraser
- white glue
- dimensional or fabric paint
- paper punch and red paper to make small, round buttons (or use real buttons)
- embellishments – buttons, bows etc.
- tapestry needle with large eye
What You Do:
1. Print and cut out the Gingerbread Man Pattern.
2. Place the pattern onto the material that you are using as a base, trace around it and cut out the ornament shape.
3. Decorate the gingerbread man as you wish; we used white dimensional paint to make wavy lines on the arms and legs. Paint on two simple dots for eyes. The mouth can be done in white or red paint, or you could draw it on with pen or marker.
4. Use white glue to attach a small craft foam bow shape, or tie a bow from a little piece of ribbon placed around the gingerbread man’s neck.
5. Glue on the buttons.
6. Thread needle with a small length of embroidery floss or gold cord and draw it through the top of the ornament. Remove the needle and tie ends of thread together to finish.