Last updated on March 13th, 2015 at 07:42 pm
by Benetta Strydom
Let butterflies on the wing carry your birthday message on this handmade birthday card with a butterfly motif. If desired, you can also print a complementary Irish blessing to feature on the inside.
- Pattern of butterfly
- Tracing paper and pencil
- 8.2″ x 6″ light green marbled card stock
- 4″ x 4″ white card stock with green polka dots
- 4″ x 4″ light green paper
- 4″ x 4″ white dress net fabric
- Small piece of black card stock
- 24″ of 0.1″ light green sheer organza ribbon
- 2x paper flowers
- 2x paper pollen tubes from paper flowers
- 2x flat-sided rhinestone beads
- Craft glue
- One sheet of ordinary white printer paper
- White envelope, sized 4.4″ x 6.2″
1. Trace and cut three butterflies – one from the white card stock with the green polka dots; one from the light green paper and one from the net fabric.
2. Score the light green marbled card stock length-wise to create a card sized 4.1″ x 6″.
3. With the fold at the top, position and glue the butterfly cut from the polka dot card stock in place.
4. Glue the second butterfly, i.e. the one cut from the green paper, over the first butterfly. Do not glue it down completely ~ only affix the green butterfly’s body to the body of the first. The wings must be loose and be able to move, to create an effect of a butterfly dancing whenever the card is turned.
5. Make a frame around the card with the organza ribbon and cut off any protruding pieces.[xyz-ihs snippet=”AFCembed”]
6. Glue the two paper flowers in place over the right-hand side of the ribbon frame.
7. Add a flat-sided rhinestone bead to the middle of each flower.
8. Glue the third butterfly, i.e. the one cut from the net fabric, over the first and second butterflies. Again, do not glue it down completely ~ only affix the net butterfly’s body to the bodies of the first two.
9. Trace and cut the body of the butterfly from black card stock.
10. Glue the black butterfly body in place.
11. Glue the pollen tubes in place ~ the pollen tubes will be the antennae.
12. Space and print the following quote onto the white printer paper:
May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sunAnd find your shoulder to light on,To bring you luck, happiness and richesToday, tomorrow and beyond.
Quote Source: Irish blessing from http://www.quotegarden.com/butterflies.html
13. Cut out the quote and glue it to the inside of the card.
Leave a Reply