Paint a Heart Motif on Fabric: Valentine Shirt
by Twila Lenoir
Use our free pattern to paint a heart motif on fabric – in this case, we’ve personalized a white sweat shirt with the heart motif pattern, but you could easily use the same method to decorate a long or short sleeved t-shirt.
What You Need:
- white sweat shirt or t-shirt
printable heart motif pattern
- poster board or cardboard
- plastic wrap
- tracing paper
- fabric paint – we used red, pink and blue
Heart Motif Shirt – Instructions:
1. Print out the heart motif pattern. If you want to make the pattern a different size, you could either photocopy it and have it enlarged or, alternatively, increase the image size with a computer graphics program and reprint.
2. Cut a piece of poster board or cardboard to be a little larger than your pattern and cover the poster board with plastic wrap.
3. Lay the shirt out on a flat surface, with the side that you want to paint facing upwards. Slide the poster board inside the shirt and position it just under where you you will paint the pattern.
4. Use tracing paper to the transfer the pattern to your shirt.
5. Begin painting, following the manufacturer’s instructions for paint application. We used red paint for the hearts, pink for the dots or x’s, and blue for the leaf shapes. Let paint dry over night.
6. Wash and wear according to instructions from the paint manufacturer. Enjoy!