Help your toddler make a Christmas reindeer.
My granddaughter, with a little help from her mom, made this for me. This was a joy to receive and is easy enough for a 2 year old or older preschooler to enjoy making for Christmas.
For more inspiration and creative ideas, you’ll find photos of five different paper roll reindeer just below this project. Pick the one that appeals the most or suits the supplies that you have on hand. Merry Christmas!
- Cardboard paper towel roll tube
- Chenille Stems
- Red pompom
- Colored pompoms
- Self-adhesive plastic eyes
- Adhesive tape
- Non-toxic craft glue
- Optional: brown acrylic paint
- Assemble all the supplies.
- Stand the paper towel roll up on your work surface.
- Optional: paint the cardboard paper towel roll with brown acrylic paint and let this dry before proceeding to the next steps. Drying shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
- Apply two self adhesive plastic eyes near the top of the reindeer.
- Apply a dab of craft glue to a large red pompom and position it below the eyes to make a Rudolf the Reindeer style nose.
- Apply craft glue to four more pompoms and apply them to the paper towel roll to represent feet. As you can see, my reindeer has three feet (or a mouth and two feet) and he's adorable anyway!
- Twist one chenille stem around the top third of another chenille stem then bend these three ends to make a reindeer antler. Make another antler in the same way.
- Apply a strip of adhesive tape to the bottom of one of the antlers, position it inside the top of the paper towel roll and fasten into place. Repeat on the other top side of the paper towel roll with the other antler.
- Your reindeer is now complete and ready for gift-giving or decorating your home.
This is a great way to recycle the cardboard middle of paper towel rolls!
Five Paper Roll Reindeer Variations
Check out these creative variations of paper towel roll or toilet paper roll reindeer to get your imagination flowing. Follow the links (you’ll be leaving AllFreeCrafts.com and visiting other web sites) for full instructions.