Craft Foam Holiday Bracelets
by Twila Lenoir
Cut simple craft foam shapes to suit the holiday season and make them into a special occasion bracelets for yourself or to give to friends!
On this page, we give instructions to make a homemade fish bracelet and a patriotic Independence Day bracelet featuring a star shape. However, you can use the same method to make bracelets suitable for any occasion.
» craft fun foam sheets in different colors. We used white, blue and orange for the star and fish bracelets shown
» acrylic craft paint in red and white
» stick on velcro
» printed fish template for the fish bracelet
» a star shape of a suitable size for the patriotic bracelet
» jumbo sized craft sticks
Optional: craft foam shapes
1. Trace the tongue depressor or craft stick shape onto the fun foam color of your choice. For the fish, we used blue fun foam.
2. If you need the bracelet to be bigger than the length of the tongue depressor or craft stick, then begin tracing around the left end, slide the craft stick a little to the right, begin tracing again from the end of the penciled lines and continue tracing around the right end. Cut out your bracelet shape.
3. Print and cut out the fish template, or find a star shape to use as a template. Trace the fish shape onto orange fun foam (or your choice of color) and trace the star onto blue fun foam. Cut out these shapes.
4. With a permanent marker, make a black dot as the eye for the fish. Decorate the star with sequins, glitter glue or just paint on small “computer key” style stars, as we did.
5. Glue the fish into the middle of the blue fun foam bracelet shape.
6. For the patriotic bracelet, paint half the bracelet in red acrylic paint, as shown in the photo. When the paint is dry, glue the star into the middle of the bracelet.
7. For the fish, cut a small circle from white fun foam. Cut around the circle in a coil and glue this to either side of the fish as bubbles. You could also paint on white bubbles.
8. Stick the main part of the velcro onto one end of the bracelet and the softer, fuzzy part of the velcro onto the other end. Now you can wear your holiday bracelet!
Use a foam heart shape to make a Valentine’s Day bracelet, a shamrock for St. Patrick’s Day, a flower for summer fun, or a red maple leaf for Canada Day. Coloring books often have great shapes that you can cut out and use for templates in this craft project.