By Jane Lake
Decorate a small glass jar of candy corn for Halloween with little faces made from a few dots and lines of paint., a little raffia or ribbon, a recycled glass jar – and, of course, candy corn.
You will need:
- candy corn
- small glass jar
- fine black Sharpie or fine permanent black marker
- white paint, liquid paper or DeltaCeramDecor Perm Enamel Accent Liner
- raffia or ribbon
- Halloween gift wrap or paper napkins to decoupage the jar lid OR decorative fabric
1. Clean and dry the jar thoroughly.
2. Pack the jar right to the top with candy corn. You don’t want the candy corn to move after you have painted on the faces, so pack it into the jar as tightly as you can without crushing the candy. Fasten on the lid.
3. Add little faces to whole pieces of candy corn that show through the glass. Some will be upside down, but that doesn’t matter – just paint the face upside down on the glass as well.
A simple face is best. Begin with white dots for the eyes; we used Perm Enamel Accent Liner, but small dots of liquid paper or white craft paint will also work. The painting on this jar isn’t intended as a permanent decoration. Let the whites of the eyes dry thoroughly.
4. Use the Sharpie to add black dots for the pupils of the eyes, then draw a small wiggly smile below the eyes. If the smile isn’t dark enough, let it dry and go over the wiggly line again with the Sharpie.
5. If desired, decorate the jar lid. We decoupaged the lid with a cut-out from a paper napkin. You could also decorate it with Halloween stickers. Alternatively, cover the lid with a circle of orange felt or Halloween fabric and secure with an elastic band. Tie raffia or ribbon around the neck of the jar to finish.