Use inexpensive cosmetic cotton circles as the basis for this cute snowman Christmas decoration.
By Jane Lake and Twila Lenoir
Add a pin back to wear this ornament or a magnet to make a Christmas fridgie.
- Cosmetic cotton rounds (the sort used to remove make-up)
- Toddler socks (New or gentle used and clean)
- Fabric paint (Black & Orange)
- Thin ribbon (optional)
- Hot glue or tacky glue for the kids
- Pin back or thread for a hanger; or a magnet to use as a fridgie
- Fabric stiffener (commercial, or make your own with equal parts white glue and water)
- Holiday trinket as an ornament in the hat
Place cotton rounds on wax paper on heat safe plate or tray. Dab fabric stiffener on the front until it is wet and flat. Turn over and dab the back. If you have a home heated with a central furnace, and there is a duct or heater outlet handy, place the plate over the heater. It will dry in half an hour. If this heat source is unavailable, ask an adult to place the cotton rounds in the oven at the lowest possible temperature, until they are hard and dry.
Cut the foot off the toddler socks, just above the heel. The circular tube that is left will be the snowman’s hat.
Glue the top of the sock to the cotton round, with the cut end up. You can either tuck the top of the sock inward and glue in place, for a boyish look, or just tie a holiday ribbon on the hat as seen in the photo.
With fabric paints, make two black “beady” eyes and five beads for the smile. Add an orange carrot. Let dry!
Glue a holiday trinket or a cute button on the hat.
Finally, glue a pin back to the back of the snowman or take some thread and attach it to the top of the hat to use as a Christmas tree trim or hang up as a homemade Christmas decoration. Enjoy!