The children can make a colorful pine cone turkey centerpiece for the Thanksgiving dinner table using our free printable pattern, natural materials and fun foam.
By Jane Lake and Twila Lenoir
- 4 inch pinecone
- 22 assorted colored feathers
- Turkey Pattern
- 2 tiny goggle eyes
- fun foam scraps in brown, yellow and red
1. Print and cut out the turkey pattern. Trace the patterns piece on fun foam in appropriate colors and cut out.
2. First place your pine cone on the table and turn it around a few times to find a spot where the pinecone will naturally stay put and not roll around.
3. If the feathers have been packed tightly in a bag, fluff them out by running your fingers down the length of each one from the end of the feather to tip. Spread the feathers out in a fan, moving each one until you have a pleasing arrangement of colors.
4. Begin gluing the feathers into the spaces of the pine cone, starting about four rows back from the widest end of the pine cone and moving toward the narrow tip of the pine cone. Make the first three rows with five feathers each, make the next row with four feathers, and make the last row with three feathers.
5. Glue the face pieces to the wide end of the pine cone, beginning with the brown tear drop head pattern, then the yellow tear drop and, finally, the red tear drop shape. Glue the goggle eyes on close together.
6. To finish your pine cone turkey, glue on the yellow feet.
This will make a bright, cheerful, and very colorful centerpiece for the Thanksgiving table. Enjoy!