Last updated on December 25th, 2020 at 09:07 pm
These chocolate covered spoons make an excellent accompaniment for gift in a jar beverage recipes such as cocoa, hot chocolate, or coffee.
A simple plastic spoon coated in chocolate is also a nice added touch with a gift of coffee beans. You’ll soon think of other gifts that would be enhanced by these sweet utensils.
A friend of mine has a wonderful site, called Cocoajava.com, where you’ll learn (as if you didn’t already know), that “Chocolate and Coffee Are Not Merely Edibles, They’re a Lifestyle.” Ms. Cocoajava kindly allowed us to share the first chocolate spoon project shown here with you. An alternate method and recipe follows.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Spoons
Craft supplies you will need:
- 12 ounce package of chocolate chips. You may use semi-sweet, white chocolate, raspberry flavored, or any other kind of baking chip of your choice.
- 40 heavy plastic spoons
- Deep glass measuring cup
- Colored cellophane or Saran Wrap
- Waxed paper
- Thin Ribbon
Please Note: The number of chocolate covered spoons made by these recipes can vary between 25 to 40 spoons, according to how heavy the chocolate coating is and the size of your spoons.
Pour the chips into a heatproof container, such as a measuring cup. A deep cup is the best for this project.
Microwave the cup of chips at half power for one minute. Stir. Repeat in 30 second bursts until chocolate is smooth and fully melted, but do NOT over cook.
Add to the melted chocolate one teaspoon of shortening for each cup of chips. Stir lightly until just blended.
Dip plastic spoons into the chocolate to coat the bowl and about one inch of the handle. If the chocolate starts to harden, microwave 30 seconds at half power.
Lay spoons on wax paper to set. When chocolate spoons have set, put them in the freezer for 15 minutes. This makes them easier to handle when you start to wrap them.
Take squares of colored cellophane and wrap the coated spoons. Tie with a pretty ribbon.
Once you have mastered the basic technique, you can experiment! Try drizzling streaks of white chocolate over dipped spoons to create a design. Sprinkle colored sugar on chocolate before it sets for a holiday look.
* A bundle of chocolate spoons set in a coffee mug makes a nice gift.
* Tie a few spoons to a bag of gourmet coffee beans for a coffee loving friend.
* Keep spoons on hand during the holidays to use when serving hot drinks to visitors.
* Stir a little chocolate sweetness into a mug of coffee, espresso, cocoa or hot chocolate.
Alternate Chocolate Dipped Spoons Recipe
» Plastic spoons
» 6 ounces white dipping chocolate
» 6 ounces dark dipping chocolate
1. Line 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper.
2. Put the white and dark chocolate in separate bowls and melt each type of chocolate in the microwave. Microwave at half power for 1 minute. Stir thoroughly. Continue to microwave and stir at 15 second intervals until smooth and completely melted.
3. Dip a spoon into the bowl, covering both sides completely. Place the spoon on the cookie sheet and rest the spoons handle on the cookie sheet edge.
4. Make some spoons using white chocolate and others using dark chocolate.
5. Drizzle a contrasting chocolate color over each spoon.
6. Refrigerate until chocolate is completely hardened.
7. Wrap each spoon in cellophane, and bind it around with a piece of seam binding, or ribbon.