Last updated on January 4th, 2024 at 12:55 am
You can make this curry cumin rice jar mix with raisins (which I really like) but it’s also tasty without them for those (like my daughter) who believe raisins rightly belong only in cookies.
I developed this recipe as a gift in a jar, however, and even the naysayers in my home think the jar looks nicer with raisins inside.
I used basmati rice in this jar mix but you can easily substitute equal amounts of long grain white rice.
New for Christmas: Added a free printable label of cooking instructions to attach to your gift in a jar.
by Jane Lake
Curry Cumin Rice with Raisins Jar Mix Recipe
- 1½ cups basmati rice (or long grain rice)
- ½ cup raisins
- 3 tbsps dried onion flakes
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- printable jar label (if using)
ASSEMBLE THE RICE MIX
- This recipe fills a two cup jar. You can layer it. I’ll offer how-to options for that, later in this post. But it looks appealing with the ingredients mixed together which is what we are about to do now.
- Measure the seasonings (chicken boullion powder and dried minced onion) and the spices (2 tsp each curry and cumin) into a mixing bowl and stir.
- Add raisins to the seasonings in the mixing bowl and stir to combine. You’ll find some of the seasonings cling to the raisins which looks fine seen through the jar.
- Add the rice and stir everything together.
- Pour the curry cumin rice mix into a two cup jar and hand tighten the jar lid.
- Decorate the jar for gift giving then add a label identifying the contents and giving instructions on how to cook the curry cumin rice with raisins as shown below.
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CURRY CUMIN RICE AND RAISIN
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in Curry Cumin Rice Jar Mix. Reduce heat to low and cover the saucepan. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for five minutes. Fork through the rice grains and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter. Enjoy!
If you prefer to layer this jar mix for gift giving, try the instructions on our earlier recipe for Curried Rice and Raisins.
The trick to layering this is pressing down the layer of raisins and then topping up the jar with a little more rice. Just be aware that, since you are adding more rice, you may also need more water for cooking.
Free Printable Label for Curry Cumin Rice with Raisins
Click on the image to expand to full size. Once the label is printed, fold into sections with the colored photo of the jar and cooked rice on the front and the cooking directions inside.