Last updated on February 17th, 2015 at 04:56 pm
By Jane Lake
Humpty Dumpty is dressed for the Easter parade – and he’s a good kids craft to make from a plastic egg, pipe cleaners and googly eyes.
You can vary the colour to suit your supplies.
- plastic egg
- craft paint in flesh tone and color of your choice
- two chenille stems for arms and hat brim
- goggly eyes
- small bottle cap for the hat
- narrow ribbon for hat and belt
- permanent marker or paint
- craft glue
- fine sandpaper
1. Roughen the surface of the plastic egg with sandpaper to help the paint adhere. Wash and dry the egg.
2. Paint the lower half of the egg in the colour you have chosen, and the upper half in flesh tone. You will probably need two coats for full coverage.
3. Cut a length of pipe cleaner to fit around the middle of the egg, plus 1 inch.
Bend the pipe cleaner to fit around the egg, folding back a half inch on each end of the pipe cleaner to form hands. Use craft glue to position the pipe cleaner just above the center line of the egg. Secure with glue at the back, and around to each side, but allow the pipe cleaner arms to extend freely at the front. Bend the arms into a position you like – maybe one arm waving – or you could even have Humpty Dumpty hold a small basket, drum and drum stick, etc. by gluing those to the hands.
4. Glue on the goggly eyes, fairly close together but not touching.
5. Add a smile with permanent marker, red felt tip pen or paint.
6. Cut a length of pipe cleaner large enough to make feet in a “W” shape. Push all sides of the “W” in together, then release. With your fingers, hold on to the open top of the “W” shape, and bend the feet to make them more rounded at the toes. Splay the feet outwards a little for balance. Test the balance by placing the egg on the feet, and adjust as needed until it can stand alone. Apply craft glue to the feet and position Humpty in place.
7. The plastic bottle cap used as a hat in the photo was dark blue, but you could paint one any colour you like.
8. Cut a length of pipe cleaner to encircle the bottle cap, and glue in place.
9. Cut a length of narrow ribbon to encircle the bottle cap, and glue above the pipe cleaner brim.
10. Finally, cut ribbon to fit around the egg as a belt and glue in place.
Additional trimming is possible, so why not exercise your creativity? Some ideas – make Humpty Dumpty into a drummer boy; create a small ‘book’ for him to hold by cutting out a small rectangle of construction paper, and folding down the middle to make the spine; give him an Easter basket to carry, full of miniature flowers; or why not make a tiny decorated gift box in an Easter theme for Humpty to take to the Easter parade?
Leave a Reply